Monday, September 23, 2019

Your World Grows

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." Steven Wright 

I am thrilled, excited, exalted! Each new vista opens up before my eyes. Each new view is earned by sweat and footfall. I am here! I am where I ought to be. I am here to see all of God's brushwork. Each canvas brings me joy that can be found nowhere else. True beauty marks true virtue.


Time slows to a pace I know. I am accustomed to this pace, despite having never truly lived in this world I know it is where I belong. Here I am not being whipped through corrals toward the abattoir. I may come and go as I please. I may rest or work by my own reasoning.
Here I am master of my own time.

Our society and technology have steadily outpaced our natural state of being. Society has long since left us behind. Generation after generation has built a world with no room for the spirit. We force our selves to lead lives with no semblance of humanity. Indeed the line between society and technology is growing more indistinct, I fear for the souls of children and children's children. Will we see our folly before we smash our proverbial heads in? or are we doomed to follow our course through?

This is now my home now. My little house among the blueberries and sphagnum. My dominion runs as far as the eye can see, bring me but one man to dispute my kingdom. I wait and wait, I hear no challenge. (Unless a bear comes for some of those blueberries, then I might concede.)



Let my eyes soak in the beauty. Let my ears hear sweet bird song. Hang me in this breeze too dry. But what shall we have to eat? What shall nourish our mortality?

Blueberries, in your pancakes, in your tea, on their own. Blueberries!
Sour fruity ripe Sumac. Soak the Sumac fruits in water to make a delicious and refreshing lemonade like beverage. Or suck on the fruit to quench thirst well hiking.
Didn't bring any fishing gear?
That's no problem an impromptu spear with a barbed point and a lot of patience will put fish on your plate.
Alas, our trip ends. How I wish I could stay forever.
But it is never truly goodbye, rather only until next time.
Same bat-time,
same bat-channel.



2 comments:

  1. I love the mix of prose with poetry and lack of exposition. More blogs should be written this way; sparse and from the heart. How blessed we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a better word than sparse would be succinct.

      Delete