Sunday, May 12, 2019

Honing your skills, stealth camping.



“ A man's got to know his limitations” (Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force,1973)

As Clint says, you have to know what your limitations are. If you don't that's how you end up in trouble. To find your limitations I suggest trying a little stealth no trace urban camping. Turn your life into a living experiment.

What is stealth no trace urban camping? you ask. Well, the idea is that you can test out your gear within a safe distance from your home or another safe warm refuge. For anyone who wants to get into winter camping, this is an excellent way to build up your confidence and find what works for you. Remember what is good for one person may not be good for another.

Where:
I typically choose a location no more than 15 km and no less than 5 km from my home. This often leaves me camping in parks and secluded sections of private property. If that is out of your comfort zone try the backyard. For those of you with some gumpshun, remember its civil disobedience, you're not littering, having a bonfire, or causing any mayhem whatsoever.

When:
I go out during the season or weather event that allows me to test specific gear and or survival techniques. Because I'm close to home I don't need to book time off from work in order to do this. So I will often go on weekends, and some times weekdays.

How:
Remember when camping in parks or private land you are essentially a squatter, and depending on your local laws you can be forcibly removed and or charged. Do some research before you go. Fortunately where I live squatters cannot be forcibly removed. However, you must be inconspicuous and stealthy. Choose hidden locations, use low visibility shelters, avoid bright lights at night. Out of respect for the land, leave no trace, pack in pack out, and don't destroy vegetation; even dead standing trees are valuable habitat for wildlife. Most importantly, do not camp anywhere you feel that your safety may be in danger, not all parks are created equal.

Why:
The goal is to hone your wilderness living techniques so that when you are on the trail you are living smooth and easy. You are calm, confident and comfortable.

Here I have set up a plow-point shelter on the edge of a farmers field.
I chose to use a Dakota fire hole to cook my meal, as it is safe, efficient and stealthy.
My sleep system is a down filled mummy bag in an MYOG Tyvek bivy bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment